[mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/egpodcast/eg-techno030-simina-grigoriu/ width=100% height=60 hide_cover=1 mini=1 light=1]
Romanian-born, Toronto-bred Simina Grigoriu has been steadily racking up accolades during her decade-long career. Starting off as a DJ, she’s made the transition as a producer and kicked off own label Kuukou, a home for techno forward productions, where she calls all the shots. In this time she’s also transplanted to Berlin, a place she now calls home and the major source of her creative inspiration, a source as diverse as her influences.
Simina’s musical roots stem deep in her childhood when she studied classical violin and keyboard. Coupled with her parents’ musical legacy and her passion for Hip Hop freestyling as a teen, it encapsulates the foundation of her style, an avenue she continues to explore to this day.
Garnering on the exposure of Toronto’s clubs, where growing up, the likes of Jeff Mills, Josh Wink and Juan Atkins struck a chord, Simina’s style grew and developed constantly into the straightforward and uplifting techno she fronts today.
Her first productions came to light on the Berlin label Sonat Records, followed by releases with Phrase Insane Records in Spain, Italy’s Intelectro Vibe, Urban Sound and Frequenza Records. A debut album was sure to follow, as Exit City became one of Susumu Records’ highest chart toppers.
After a year long break, where she focused her efforts on motherhood while keeping an active studio schedule, Simina christens Kuukou Records in July 2016 with her inaugural EP “Techno Monkey’. Shortly after, she doles out “Matching Numbers” on Popof’s FORM, an immediate hit EP complete with a smashing remix by Julian Jeweil. She continues to release both on Kuukou as well as FORM while working on remixes and collaborations for numerous techno labels in parallel.
An active globetrotter, Simina’s constantly touring, having wowed crowds at festivals and venues all over the world so it’s no surprise the Techno chief named her label Kuukou (Japanese for airport). She has been pushing a steady row of releases from the likes of Torsten Kanzler, Alfred Heinrichs, Martin Books, Daniel Boon with premium artists as remix support.
Most recently 2017 has seen Simina embark on her yearly Asia tour, with highlights at Strawberry Festival and G-Festival, Elevator Shanghai and Beijing’s ultimate underground techno club “Lantern” – otherwise known as the Berghain of Beijing.
Safe to say the coming months will provide a plethora of amazing releases, performances and surprises from one of Techno’s most dynamic ladies.
01. [ Wex 10 ] – Travel One Fini – Mindshake Records
02. JOANiSH – The Great Hike (Original Mix) – Kuukou Records
03. Ferhat Albayrak – Slow Burn (Original Mix) – ELEVATE
04. Barbur – Its Berlin (Original Mix) – Kuukou Records
05. Sara Simonit – Final Moment (Original Mix) – ELEVATE
06. Ben Teufel, Thor Hart – Stupid Mind (Original Mix) – Ballroom Black
07. Adam Beyer – What You Need (Kölsch Remix) – Drumcode
08. Sven Wittekind – Addiction (Original Mix) – ELEVATE
09. Torsten Kanzler – Dark Time (Original Mix) – Legend
10. Hollen – Acid Tears (Original Mix) – Prospect Records
11. Albird – Kestrel (Original Mix) – Ballroom
12. Cosmic Boys – Trident (Original Mix) – Legend